E-2 Visa

E-2 Visa

An E-2 Visa could be an option for you if you want to work in the United States by starting or investing in a U.S. company. E visas are work visas that allow people to work in the United States in trade or investment. E visas can only be granted to countries where the foreign national’s country and the United States have signed a treaty.

E-2 visas are for business owners and investors in the United States. The E-2 is a temporary work visa in the United States that can be obtained for “substantial” investments in the country. To qualify for an E-2 visa, an investment must meet a number of conditions.

Qualifications to Get Your E-2 Visa

According to the Travel State website, these are the qualifications for a treaty investor (E-2) visa:

  • The investor, whether a person, a partnership, or a company, must be a citizen of a treaty nation.
  • If a company is established, at least 50% of the company must be owned by people of the treaty country.
  • The expenditure must be large, with funds or assets invested and non-reversible. It must be necessary to ensure the enterprise’s efficient operation.
  • The investment must be a real functioning company, a commercial or entrepreneurial venture in the works. A speculative or idle investment, as well as a paper organization, do not count. Unspent funds in a savings account or other equivalent protection are not considered investments.
  • It must either produce substantially more income than is needed to sustain you and your family or have a major economic impact in the United States.
  • You must have full leverage over the assets, and the investment must be economically risky. Loans backed by the investment firm’s assets are not approved.
  • You must be coming to the United States to grow and manage the company. If you are not the primary investor, you must be a critical employee who works in a supervisory, executive or highly skilled skill position. If the employee is working in a minor capacity, an E-2 visa can be issued if the employee has special qualifications that make the services to be provided vital to the business.

The initial stay of eligible treaty investors and employees will be limited to two years. Requests for extensions of stay in E-2 classification or transfers of status to E-2 classification may be given in two-year increments. An E-2 nonimmigrant can be given an unlimited number of extensions. When their status expires or is revoked, all E-2 nonimmigrants must retain an intention to leave the United States.

Getting the best lawyer is crucial to your E-2 visa application’s success. Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm handles cases throughout the United States: permanent residence, citizenship, migratory forgiveness, asylum, defense for persons detained by ICE, defense in immigration courts, TN visas, and investor’s E-2 visas. Schedule your consultation now so we can assist you.

Book a Consultation

Select Location

703 S 8th St, Las Vegas, NV, 89101, United States
801 El Paso St #100, El Paso, TX 79902, United States
8876 Gulf Fwy Suite 215, Houston, TX 77017, United States

Get In Touch


Employment Based Green Cards

Employment Based Green Cards are one way for immigrants to lawfully live and work in the US. Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm will assist you from the very start of the process.

O-1 Visas

O-1 Visas are issued to individuals with exceptional abilities in different fields. Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm will help you check your eligibility and apply for O-1 visas.


H1B Work Visa

H1B Work Visa is a non-immigrant and employer-sponsored temporary visa that helps US companies to recruit foreign employees in specialized occupations temporarily.

E-2 Visa

E-2 Visa is a temporary visa for business owners and investors in the United States. Several conditions must be met to qualify for an E-2 visa.

EB-5 Visa

EB-5 Visa will help you get a green card by investing. There are certain amounts needed for the investment and Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm will help discuss all the requirements with you.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Tell Us About Your Case


Click or drag a file to this area to upload.