Asylum in the US

Immigration Asylum

Asylum in the US

Knowing when and how to apply for immigration asylum can be difficult, particularly if you have recently fled a dangerous situation in your home country. The Xavier A. Mendez law firm’s asylum attorneys will assist you.

Those granted asylum may apply to remain in the United States indefinitely and obtain a path to citizenship, as well as to bring their spouse and children with them.

A person who was given asylum, called an asylee, will have the other benefits:

  • safe from deportation
  • permitted to work in the United States
  • can apply for a Social Security card
  • seek permission to move abroad
  • petition to bring family members to the United States
  • government services like medical assistance

Grounds for Immigration Asylum 

You must meet the criteria of a refugee to be eligible for asylum or refugee status under US law. 

One of the most challenging aspects of successfully applying for asylum or refugee status is proving the link between the persecution and one of these five grounds—race, religion, nationality, political opinion, and social group membership, especially when you must prove that one of the five grounds was or would be a “central reason” for your persecution.

This means demonstrating that you have either been a victim of persecution in the past or that you have a well-founded fear (both subjective and objective reasonable fear) of persecution in the future. You must prove that you were persecuted in your home country or last country of residence if you were persecuted in the past.

We know that this could still be a little troubling for others, but you can trust the immigration lawyers from Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm to handle your case carefully.

Book a Consultation

Select Location

703 S 8th St, Las Vegas, NV, 89101, United States
801 El Paso St #100, El Paso, TX 79902, United States
8876 Gulf Fwy Suite 215, Houston, TX 77017, United States

Get In Touch


Employment Based Green Cards

Employment Based Green Cards are one way for immigrants to lawfully live and work in the US. Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm will assist you from the very start of the process.

O-1 Visas

O-1 Visas are issued to individuals with exceptional abilities in different fields. Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm will help you check your eligibility and apply for O-1 visas.


H1B Work Visa

H1B Work Visa is a non-immigrant and employer-sponsored temporary visa that helps US companies to recruit foreign employees in specialized occupations temporarily.

E-2 Visa

E-2 Visa is a temporary visa for business owners and investors in the United States. Several conditions must be met to qualify for an E-2 visa.

EB-5 Visa

EB-5 Visa will help you get a green card by investing. There are certain amounts needed for the investment and Xavier A. Mendez Law Firm will help discuss all the requirements with you.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Tell Us About Your Case


Click or drag a file to this area to upload.